Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge 2020
Clubs SA is calling for applications from young men and women aged 16-25 years of age to participate in this year’s Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge across the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea from 26th September 2020 to 7th October 2020.
(NB: You must also make yourself available on 16th May 2020)
The Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge is overseen by the RSL & Services Clubs Association and is aimed at young people at school or disadvantaged or unemployed young people in the community who are having difficulty in finding their way in society. It is also used to encourage young achievers with natural leadership skills.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Create an awareness of the campaigns in Papua New Guinea during WW11.
- Foster an understanding of the environment, the languages, and the cultures of our nearest neighbour, Papua New Guinea.
- Encourage a commitment to community service.
- Develop adventure-based skills.
- Enhance the personal development of participants.
- Provide an opportunity to walk the Kokoda Trail to experience the conditions under which our Diggers fought and died for our freedom.
- Prepare participants for a future leadership role within our Australian community.
The program commenced in 2004 and many young Australians have gone through the program representing an investment in Australia's youth by RSL and Services Clubs of more than $2 million.
One young participant wrote of her trek in 2017
“Walking in the footsteps of the brave men who fought on the Kokoda Trail was both a challenging and incredibly inspiring experience. It gave me a chance to pay my respects to those who had fought and died on the Trail. For those wishing to walk the Kokoda Trail I highly advise you undertake a strenuous training program prior to departure. The countless hours I spent at the gym, out bushwalking and trail running paid off in dividends when I arrived in Papua New Guinea. With temperatures in the high 30’s, along with 90% humidity and torrential rains, one must truly be physically prepared in order to experience everything the Trail has to offer. This is a truly life changing experience and words cannot describe how thankful I am to have been sponsored by Clubs SA...”
Applicants for the 2020 Kokoda Youth Challenge (Trek 2) must be physically fit, interested in the history of the Kokoda campaign and be willing to help build better communities on their return.
Those interested in the Trek should:-
- Download the 2020 Trekkers Guide;
- Complete the application form on the last 4 pages for the 2020 Trekkers Guide including 600 words on Why would you like to be selected for the RSL & Services Clubs Kokoda Youth Leadership Challenge?
- Email a copy of the application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 4pm on Friday 27th March 2020.